Wherever you are in the Oakland public school enrollment process, there are always important next steps to take. Let us help!
Already applied for next school year – 2018-19?
Great! If you’re here, you probably took advantage of all of your Oakland public school options, district and charter. OUSD’s deadline was January 26, 2018; the charters deadline was February 16, 2018. If you missed these deadlines for whatever reason, don’t worry, there are still options. If you have already applied, next steps come in March. Here are the details:
- For OUSD, please visit www.ousd.org/enroll, as they have their own processes.
- For Oakland charters, here’s how it works:
- Applications received by the February 16, 2018 deadline will be included in charter school lotteries, which will be done the week of March 5-9, 2018. Admission is not guaranteed; a public random lottery is held if a school has more applicants than space available. The “lottery” is the process by which – per state law – schools randomly assign students into available spaces.
- On Monday, March 12, 2018, you should see all your charter school lottery results – Offer or Waitlist – in your SchoolMint student dashboard and at that time you can Accept or Decline an offer.
- The deadline to Accept or Decline a charter school offer is March 29, 2018. If you do not accept by this date, the charter school lottery offer(s) will expire. Once you accept an offer, offers from other charter schools will be automatically declined. You can remain on waitlists but may only accept an offer at one charter school. If you applied to both OUSD and charter schools, given that there are two enrollment systems, accepting a charter school offer will not decline your OUSD offer. However, we encourage families to accept just one offer to free up seats for other interested families – contact OUSD separately to accept or decline your OUSD offer.
- After that, the next step is registration directly with the school.
You can review details of these dates and add them to your calendar from our calendar.
Have not applied yet for the next school year – 2018-19?
Charter Application: If you missed the February 16, 2018 deadline, you can still submit an online Applications submitted after the February 16 deadline will be considered a Round 2 Application — you will be placed on a waiting list at each of your selected schools, and/or offered enrollment if space becomes available. Round 2 applications will only be available online, and applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Some schools use priorities in Round 2, so your school waitlist positions may change up or down depending on the actions of other applicants.
District (OUSD) Application: If you missed the January 26 deadline, you can still submit a paper application for the 2018 – 2019 school year. Applications submitted after the January 26, 2018 deadline will be considered late and processed in the order received. For more OUSD enrollment information, visit an OUSD Welcome Center at 746 Grand Ave. or 1125 69th Ave., call 510-879-4600, e-mail email@example.com, or visit www.ousd.org/enroll.
Not looking to apply, just getting prepared to or want to help others choose the best Oakland public school for their child?
Whether you are a future parent or one of a young child who has not started school yet, you may already be planning for your child’s future schooling. Or maybe you are a concerned citizen, tax-payer, media, government official, funder, or advocate. Great! We welcome all interest and support. We would not be here without it. Here are three easy first steps:
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our newsletter – don’t worry – rare and relevant e-mails only!
You can also send us a message from our Contact Us page.