Wherever you are in the Oakland public school enrollment process, there are always important next steps to take. Let us help!
Already applied for next school year – 2019-2020?
Great! If you’re here, you probably took advantage of all of your Oakland public school options, district (OUSD) and charter. The open enrollment deadline both district (OUSD) and charter schools is February 8, 2019, you can make updates to your application and apply to more schools anytime before this deadlines. All applications submitted by this deadline will be included in school lotteries.
- For district schools (OUSD), please visit www.ousd.org/enroll, as they have their own processes.
- For Oakland charters, here’s how it works:
- Applications received by the February 8, 2019 deadline will be included in charter school lotteries, which will be done the week of March 4-13, 2019. Admission is not guaranteed; a public random lottery is held if a school has more applicants than space available. The “lottery” is the process by which – per state law – schools randomly assign students into available spaces.
- On Monday, March 14, 2019, you should see all your charter school lottery results – Offer or Waitlist – in your SchoolMint student dashboard and at that time you can Accept or Decline an offer.
- The deadline to Accept or Decline a charter school offer is April 2, 2019. If you do not accept by this date, the charter school lottery offer(s) will expire. Once you accept an offer, offers from other charter schools will be automatically declined. You can remain on waitlists but may only accept an offer at one charter school. If you applied to both district (OUSD) and charter schools, given that there are two enrollment systems, accepting a charter school offer will not decline your district (OUSD) offer. However, we encourage families to accept just one offer to free up seats for other interested families – contact district (OUSD) separately to accept or decline your district (OUSD) offer.
- After that, the next step is registration directly with the school.
You can review details of these dates and add them to your calendar from our calendar.
Have not applied yet for the next school year – 2019-2020?
Charter Application: If you missed the February 8, 2019 deadline, you can still submit an online application. Applications submitted after the February 8 deadline will be considered a Round 2 Application — you will be placed on a waiting list at each of your selected schools, and/or offered enrollment if space becomes available. Round 2 applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Some schools use priorities in Round 2, so your school waitlist positions may change up or down depending on the actions of other applicants.
District (OUSD) Application: If you missed the February 8, 2019 deadline, you can still submit an application for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
This year the district (OUSD) will be using late application windows, followed by space-available placements. In the past, all late applications were placed on a space-available basis.
The approximate dates of the late windows will be:
Late Application Window 1: 2/9/19 – 4/5/19
Late Application Window 2: 4/6/19 – 4/26/19
Late Application Window 3: 4/27/19 – 5/17/19
Late Application Window 4: 5/18/19 – 6/7/19
Space Availability Placements: 6/8/19 – Duration of 19/20 School Year
For more OUSD enrollment information, visit an OUSD Welcome Center at 746 Grand Ave., call 510-879-4600, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.ousd.org/enroll.
Still need to apply for this school year – 2018-2019?
Just move here? Want to change schools because things aren’t working out for your child or family? We can help. Although Oakland public schools start every year in August, some schools may still have openings. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis:
Not looking to apply, just getting prepared to or want to help others choose the best Oakland public school for their child?
Whether you are a future parent or one of a young child who has not started school yet, you may already be planning for your child’s future schooling. Or maybe you are a concerned citizen, tax-payer, media, government official, funder, or advocate. Great! We welcome all interest and support. We would not be here without it. Here are three easy first steps:
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our newsletter – don’t worry – rare and relevant e-mails only!
You can also send us a message from our Contact Us page.