Wherever you are in the Oakland public school enrollment process, there are always important next steps to take. Let us help!
Already applied for next school year – 2019-20?
Great! If you’re here, you probably took advantage of all of your Oakland public school options, district (OUSD) and charter. The open enrollment deadline both district (OUSD) and charter schools is February 8, 2019, you can make updates to your application and apply to more schools anytime before this deadlines. All applications submitted by this deadline will be included in school lotteries.
- For district schools (OUSD), please visit www.ousd.org/enroll, as they have their own processes.
- For Oakland charters, here’s how it works:
- Applications received by the February 8, 2019 deadline will be included in charter school lotteries, which will be done the week of March 4-13, 2019. Admission is not guaranteed; a public random lottery is held if a school has more applicants than space available. The “lottery” is the process by which – per state law – schools randomly assign students into available spaces.
- On Monday, March 14, 2019, you should see all your charter school lottery results – Offer or Waitlist – in your SchoolMint student dashboard and at that time you can Accept or Decline an offer.
- The deadline to Accept or Decline a charter school offer is April 2, 2019. If you do not accept by this date, the charter school lottery offer(s) will expire. Once you accept an offer, offers from other charter schools will be automatically declined. You can remain on waitlists but may only accept an offer at one charter school. If you applied to both district (OUSD) and charter schools, given that there are two enrollment systems, accepting a charter school offer will not decline your district (OUSD) offer. However, we encourage families to accept just one offer to free up seats for other interested families – contact district (OUSD) separately to accept or decline your district (OUSD) offer.
- After that, the next step is registration directly with the school.
You can review details of these dates and add them to your calendar from our calendar.
Have not applied yet for the next school year – 2019-2020?
It is currently open enrollment for the 2019-20 school year. Applications submitted by February 8, 2019 will be included in school lotteries. Applications for both district and charter schools can be submitted online, click here to get started. The application process of the charter and district schools is separate and we recommend you apply in both systems.
We recommend you apply to multiple schools – district and charter – because some schools receive more applications than they have space for. When that happens, there is a “lottery” or random drawing. If you don’t get an offer from your first choice school, you might get one from your second or third, and so on. So, the more schools you choose, the better your chance of getting into one that best fits your child and your family.
Still need to apply for this school year (2018-19)?
Just move here? Want to change schools because things aren’t working out for your child or family? We can help. Although Oakland public schools start every year in August, some schools may still have openings. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis:
Not looking to apply, just getting prepared to or want to help others choose the best Oakland public school for their child?
Whether you are a future parent or one of a young child who has not started school yet, you may already be planning for your child’s future schooling. Or maybe you are a concerned citizen, tax-payer, media, government official, funder, or advocate. Great! We welcome all interest and support. We would not be here without it. Here are three easy first steps:
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our newsletter – don’t worry – rare and relevant e-mails only!
You can also send us a message from our Contact Us page.