Wherever you are in the Oakland public school enrollment process, there are always important next steps to take. Let us help!
Already applied for this school year – 2019-2020?
Great! If you’re here, you probably took advantage of all of your Oakland public school options, district and charter. The open enrollment deadline for both district (OUSD) and charter schools was February 8, 2019. If you missed this deadline for whatever reason, don’t worry, there are still options. If you have already applied, next steps come in March. Here are the details:
- For district schools (OUSD), please visit www.ousd.org/enroll, as they have their own processes.
- For Oakland charters participating in the common charter application, here’s how it works:
- Applications received by the February 8, 2019 deadline will be included in charter school lotteries, which will be done the week of March 4-13, 2019. Admission is not guaranteed; a public random lottery is held if a school has more applicants than space available. The “lottery” is the process by which – per state law – schools randomly assign students into available spaces.
- On March 14, 2019, you should see all your charter school lottery results – Offer or Waitlist – in your SchoolMint student dashboard and at that time you can Accept or Decline an offer.
- The deadline to Accept or Decline a charter school offer is April 2, 2019. If you do not accept by this date, the charter school lottery offer(s) will expire. Once you accept an offer, offers from other participating charter schools will be automatically declined. You can remain on waitlists but may only accept an offer at one charter school. Accepting an offer from a participating charter school will not impact applications to the district (OUSD) and/or non-participating charter schools as they are separate systems. However, we encourage families to accept just one offer to free up seats for other interested families. You must contact the district and/or non-participating charter schools directly for an update on your assignment(s).
- After that, the next step is registration directly with the school.
- Applicants that do not receive a lottery offer and/or those that apply in Round 2 will be placed on the waitlist at each of your selected schools and offered enrollment if space becomes available. The school will notify you by text, email, phone and/or mail. Waitlists expire at the end of each school year.
To contact the school(s) that you applied to, visit our list of participating schools for their website and contact info at https://Enrolloak.org/participating-schools/. For questions about a district (OUSD) school, call/text (510) 879-4600 or go to https://www.ousd.org/enroll for more information. For questions about the Enrolloak.org charter application, call/text us at (510) 454-9360.
Still need to apply for this school year – 2019-2020?
Just move here? Want to change schools because things aren’t working out for your child or family? We can help. Although Oakland public schools start every year in August, some schools may still have openings. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis:
- Charter Schools: To enroll in a participating charter public school, apply online here. You will be placed on a waitlist at each of your selected schools, and offered enrollment if space becomes available. Round 2 applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Some schools use priorities in Round 2, so your school waitlist positions may change up or down depending on the actions of other applicants. The school will notify you by text, email, phone and/or mail if space becomes available. Waitlists expire at the end of each school year.
- District Schools (OUSD): To enroll in a district-run school, visit the OUSD Welcome Center at 746 Grand Avenue.
To contact specific charter schools, visit our list of participating schools for their website and contact info at https://Enrolloak.org.org/participating-schools/
For questions about a district (OUSD) school, call/text (510) 879-4600 or go to https://www.ousd.org/enroll for more information.
For questions about the Enrolloak.org charter application, call/text us at (510) 454-9360.
Not looking to apply, just getting prepared to or want to help others choose the best Oakland public school for their child?
Whether you are a future parent or one of a young child who has not started school yet, you may already be planning for your child’s future schooling. Or maybe you are a concerned citizen, tax-payer, media, government official, funder, or advocate. Great! We welcome all interest and support. We would not be here without it. Here are three easy first steps:
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our newsletter – don’t worry – rare and relevant e-mails only!
You can also send us a message from our Contact Us page.